You are:

Clinical Academics

What is a clinical academic

A clinical academic would normally:

  • have a substantive academic contract of employment with an HEI
  • be required, as a condition of their employment, to hold GMC or GDC registration
  • and, where relevant, a licence to practise

Many clinical academics provide services and/or have patient contact with a partner NHS body under an 'honorary contract'. Sometimes the clinical academic will work with more than one NHS body and have several honorary contracts.

The Medical Schools Council holds a list of HEIs with medical schools.

Because of their links to the NHS, clinical academic terms and conditions of employment are different to other higher education academics and support staff. 

Member institutions have access to a range of resources:

Last updated: 9 November 2017